Saturday, October 3, 2009

Beginning the Project

I am beginning a project called Belongings that will be part of an exhibition called Actions, Conversations, and Intersections at the Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery.

I am curious about our attachments to and associations with things. I’m thinking of the things we own, those inanimate objects with memories that may be so rich for us, but invisible to others. I’m also thinking of belongings because I am seeing a lot of movement of possessions right now. Several of my friends have been moving – downsizing, shifting, organizing, adjusting to changing life circumstances. Many are selling their belongings on line or in yard sales. Tight economic times cause us to think more intently about what we really need. Interesting concepts: essentials and non-essentials.

I’m also curious about belonging as in the illusive sense of feeling accepted or comfortable somewhere or with someone. I see the objects and this feeling as related somehow. These are the ideas I want to explore. I’ve asked artists Jonathan Bueno, Ellen Butler, Chris Elliott, Mary Cecile Gee, Nell Gould, Lynne Mori, and Gretchen Potts to participate by responding to these concepts in some way.

The show is curated by Edith Abeyta and Michael Lewis Miller and it will explore the participatory practices of over 60 Los Angeles based artists and organizations. Show dates are January 28 - April 18, 2010. The opening reception is Sunday, January 31, 2009 at 2pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment