Sunday, December 6, 2009

5528 N. Kenmore Av., #204, Chicago, IL


This is an apartment I lived in for 2 years, from 1996-1998 in the Uptown neighborhood of Chicago. It was the first apartment I lived in by myself. I lived here during a year off from grad. school, while working as a secretary in the financial district, sort of retreating and collecting myself. It felt good to be in this space, a completely rehabbed interior of an old building, including a classic clawfoot tub. The affordable rent allowed me to easily live within my means then, at least the 1st year when I had steady employment. The sunroom was a great studio space, I was very productive there. Not all spaces work well, but this one did, even though the kitchen was so narrow that you couldn't fully open the fridge door. There's always a shuffle of belongings and furniture, and some items work out, while other things acquired prove to be mistakes. I learned during this time of my life (moving 4 times in 5 years), that I didn't want to own anything that I really didn't need or love and didn't want anything that I couldn't carry myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment